The skin is the largest organ in our body. We know you are conscious of what foods you are ingesting but are you just as careful with what your skin is ingesting? Read cosmetic and bath product labels as you do food labels.
With little regulation, cosmetics companies can put almost any ingredient they want into personal care products without having to prove that the ingredients are safe.
Here are the worst toxic offenders which are readily available (and maybe even hidden) in your everyday products.
• Aluminum, used in most antiperspirants – Aluminum has been found in breast cancer tumors.
• (DEA), found in shampoos, body washes, bubble bath, and shaving cream.
• Triethanolamine (TEA) , found in moisturizers, cosmetics, deodorant, toothpaste, body oils, and washes.
• Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) , found in shampoo, bubble bath, shaving foam, and cleansers.
• Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES) , found in shampoo, bubble bath, shaving foam, and cleansers.
• Talc, found in baby powder, make-up, and foot preparations.
• PABA, found in sunscreens.
• PEG, plasticizers found in cosmetics, make-up, and shaving cream.
• Parabens, synthetic preservatives found in hair care, body care products, fragrance, and cosmetics.
• Phthalates, found in shampoos, body washes, cosmetics, and fragrances.
• Artificial colors, found in make-up, toothpaste, and shampoos.
• Coal Tars, found in shampoo, conditioner, hair dyes, soap, skin care and cosmetics.
• Formaldehyde, found in antiperspirants, nail treatments, and perfumes.
• Dioxins, found in shampoo.
• Petrolatum or Mineral Oil, found in baby products, washes, and moisturizers.
• Triclosan, found in antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers which is linked to depressed auto-immune problems.
• Benzalkonium Chloride and Benzethonium Chloride - synthetic germicides found in hand sanitizers and personal care products - long term use may affect immune system, cause asthma and should be especially avoided if you have COPD, or any other form of pulmonary disease.